Quality Dog Beds: Selecting the Bestby Ruby M 0
Durable vs. Disposable Dog Beds:
What will you choose?
Don't bargain on your dog's comfort. A dog bed can be made to last and we offer dog beds that look beautiful, wash nicely, and will stand the test of time.
Big Wags Dog Beds are not Cheap! We agree with you. In fact, our dog beds are pricey. There is a reason for that.
At Big Wags, our background is in human apparel design and manufacturing. Using our familiarity with fabric costs, product design, and manufacturing, we want to shed some light on what really differentiates a quality dog bed over a disposable and low-cost dog bed.
Big Wags cares about quality fabrics, construction, and the environment on everything we sell.
We hope you do too.
Big Wags Dog Beds are made of:
- Non-Toxic Materials
- Upholstery Grade Fabrics
- Durable Washable Construction
- Made in the USA and Canada
- Organic Cotton & Recycled
So what is the difference between durable vs. disposable dog beds...?
We know there are very cheap dog beds at every major retailer. We see them all of the time. We understand why people buy them. We cringe on behalf of the dog that have to sleep on them.
What looks good from a distance deserves closer inspection...
Many dog beds at big retailers are cute and cuddly. They seem perfectly suitable for our pups. They are also a bargain. We see this at Target, Costco, the Home Goods store...even Petsmart and Petco.
In reality, they are all selling "quantity" rather than "quality." Realistically, major retailers can't sell a $60-200 dog bed. So they don't try. But we want to highlight the differences between a quality dog bed and cheap costing dog bed. We want to help you make a better decision for your dog's comfort and joy. We also believe, you can buy 1 dog bed during the course of your dog's life rather than several.
More than ever, big retailers are tapping into our love for our dogs. It is a multi-billion dollar industry. Big retailers operate on price points, margins, and sell-through. The buyer in charge of the pet department is responsible for driving revenue with good profitability.
If the price point is not logical for the target market ...the product will never hit the shelves. As a result, they are made of low-cost fabrics and fills. They are made oversees with limited quality control and supervision. There are no "non-toxic" guarantees. Unless the customer starts to demand it, the retailer really only cares about the price point and the margin.
The fact that you may need to buy more than 1 disposable dog beds in 1 year...makes the category even stronger for big box retailers. They love the idea that you will come back for another cheap bed as soon as yours starts to smell or flattens out.
Until customers demand more visibility on safer fabrics, safe manufacturing standards (ie chemical toxins in fabrics), and durable construction, you will not see high quality dog beds at a major retailer.
Dog Beds sold in-store at big box retailers like Target, Walmart, Costco, Petco, Petsmart:
- Will not have Upholstery grade fabric & Zippers to wash the inside and outside of the dog bed (zippers add cost and erode margin)
- Will not have Non-toxic fabrics (that costs too much and requires extra development oversight)
- Will not offer Micro-velvet (this is an expensive yet durable fabric and it costs too much)
- Will not offer non-toxic and eco-friendly Oko Tex environmental standards being met...(that costs waaaay...to much)
- Will not offer Made in USA or Made in Canada (that costs too much and erodes margin)
The buyer is just doing their job. They are doing a good job. It just is not a great product or a good bed for your dog.
The reason you won't see high quality dog beds at major retailers or even major pet retailers like Pet Smart is because the buyers really don't believe you will spend the money...so they don't offer them. Similarly, grocery stores did not offer organic food until consumers started actually demanding it. Presently, the bummer regarding cheap dog beds is that they are constructed so cheaply that they are essentially "disposable dog beds." This takes a toll on the environment and over time it takes a toll on your wallet.
The Big Wags Difference...
There truly are very few manufacturers offering top quality dog beds. We have selected Bowsers, West Paw and Sleepy Pod as they are invested in making the best quality product for a reasonable price. We selected them for the exterior fabric quality, the fill/cushion quality, washability, commitment to design and great color options. They are also committed to sourcing recycled and organic fabrics.
Additionally, all of these manufacturers consider how different dogs like to sleep. Whether they curl-up into a ball...sprawl-out, or snuggle-in. Therefore, there are a variety of shapes to choose from. These manufacturers also design for the comfort and orthopedic support for our more fragile dogs. All of these elements roll up into a quality dog bed. Ultimately,we know who and where our beds are made and we really believe in the quality of the construction and the integrity of the design.
Thanks to high quality dog beds made in the USA and Canada, Big Wags offers your dog a dog bed for life.
Big Wags chooses to offer dog beds that are safer for your dog's health and are more orthopedically supportive to your dog's lifelong physical needs.
Our Dog Beds cost more because they are:
- Made in the USA or Canada ONLY
- Non-Toxic Fabrics
- Upholstery Grade Fabrics
- Machine Washable Interiors and exteriors
- Certified Organic
- Chew-proof (we only offer one style guaranteed to be chew-proof for the ultra-destructive dog)
Thank you for considering your dog's comfort. As people who care about the manufacturing process and the environment, we Thank You for not selecting a disposable dog bed.
Deciding on the Best Dog Bed for your Dog.
Consider how they sleep:
How Does Your Dog Like to Sleep?
Does your Dog chew everything but still need a bed?
Every dog is different. Take your time in selecting the right dog bed for your dog's sleeping style.
Every Dog deserves a nice spot to sleep.
No Comments Yet
Like Us On Facebook
- Adopt Hurricane Sandy Dogs & cats
- Best Dog Jackets
- Charles the Monarch Labradoodle
- Chicken Jerky Treats Made in China Kill Dogs
- Comfort Dogs in Newtown Connecticut
- Cypress Inn
- Death Cap Mushroom kills dogs
- Destroying Angel Mushrooms kill dogs
- Disposable vs. Durable dog beds
- Dog Bed Buyers Guide
- Dog Books
- Dog Car Seat Covers
- Dog Food Recall
- Dog Food Recalls
- Dog Friendly Beaches Bay Area
- Dog Rain Jacket
- Dog Rehabilitation
- Dog Soft Air Travel Carriers
- Dog Therapy
- Dog Treat Recall Feb 19 2013
- Dog Treat Recalls
- Dog Treat Recipe
- Dogs Laws - Is it Illegal to leave your dog in a Hot car
- Donate Oxygen Masks for Dogs to your fire department
- Finding the Best Pet Sitters
- Fleece Dog Jacket
- Free Shipping
- Hand Beaded Dog Collars
- Happy Aloha Friday from Big Wags! Sunbrilla Australian Sun Shade
- Honest Kitchen Dog FOOD Recall
- How to find the Best Pet Sitter
- Iams dog treat recall
- Innova Evo California Natural Healthwise Karma Mother Nature Foods Dog Food Recall June 2013
- Jones Natural chews Woofer Dog Treat Recall
- K9 Comfort.org
- K9 Parish Comfort Dogs
- K9 Parish Lutheran Charities
- Kenyan Maasai Dog Collar
- Legal Zoom Pet Trust
- Love Therapy Dogs
- Mushroom Toxicity and Dogs
- Non-drug anxiety relief for dogs and cats
- Nutri-Vet Dog Jerky Recall
- Organic Cotton Dog Bed
- Orthopedic dog
- Pet Sitters International
- Pet Trust
- Positive Reinforcement Dog Treat Training-Treat Toobs
- Puppy Bowl 2013
- Rachel Counts
- Ruby and Moose
- Ruff Wear Web Master Harness
- Senior Dog
- States that make it Illegal to leave a dog in a hot car
- Theo and Beau
- Top quality Dog beds
- Top Rated Winter Dog Jacket
- Training People
- Waterproof Dog Jacket
- Winter Dog Jacket Buyer's Guide
- Yappy Hour